Recruitment and Retention
NURSES - New Graduate Employment Guarantee program
Application Deadline October 31, 2016 - now closed
1. What is the New Graduate Employment Guarantee program?
The New Graduate Employment Guarantee program is an initiative to support Health PEI in filling vacant RN positions. To be eligible, you must be in your final year of your nursing program. The New Graduates will be guaranteed full-time employment for two years (3900 hours) in accordance with the PEINU Collective Agreement, Appendix H.
2. How do I apply to the New Graduate Employment Guarantee program?
Students in an accelerated program who finish the nursing program in December 2016 and students in the four year program who finish in the spring 2017 are to complete an application form which will be made available in early September, 2016. Students are to include their top three preferred health facilities and units where they wish to work.
3. Is there a deadline to apply to this program?
October 31, 2016
4. As a participant of the New Graduate Employment Guarantee program, are there any funds provided to the nursing student?
No. The program provides full-time employment guarantee for two years.
5. When are interviews held?
Interviews for the accelerated nursing students who finish in December 2016 will be held in November 2016. Interviews for nursing students who finish in spring 2017 will be held in January 2017.
6. How many New Graduate positions are there?
The number will be determined based on the projected needs of the facilities within Health PEI.
7. Is preference given to Prince Edward Island residents?
8. How is it determined that PEI is your legal residence?
The applicant must identify on his/her application the province of legal residency. To be considered a resident of PEI, you must have graduated from a PEI high school, or are a dependent student whose parents are PEI residents, or have lived in PEI for greater than or equal to 12 months while NOT a student at any post-secondary institution.
9. Am I eligible if I am enrolled in a Bachelor of Nursing program in an university outside PEI?
10. If I am selected for a New Graduate position, when would I know?
For accelerated students who complete their nursing program in December 2016, successful students will be notified in December 2016. For students in the four year program, successful students will be notified in February/March 2017.